Sunday, April 5, 2009

Science Fair Madness


Well we did it, we entered the science fair this year. I don't know why I encouraged them, I thought it would be fun but it was mostly a pain in the butt! I guess we had a little bit of fun, the boys loved the experimenting part but they wanted nothing to do with any kind of thinking or writing! I was determined not to be one of "those parents" so I made them sit down and give me a few of their own words I could type up. Carters hypothesis is a great example, " I think everybody will smell differently because they all smell a little different." (We're talking sense of smell here, not body odor!) In the end we had a good time, I think it might have been a little easier if I wasn't fighting for their attention with Billy carving up pinewood derby cars. Next year I will ban him from doing any kind of fun activities during science fair week, then science will be totally interesting!

This is Coopers project. He did the old stand by of testing how long different things take to freeze. He froze water, hair gel, yogurt, paint, syrup, and (his favorite)chicken noodlle soup juice. His hypothesis was, "I think yogurt will freeze the fastest because of frozen yogurt." He was wrong, it was water, in case you were wondering!

Carters masterpeice. This kid was so stubborn, he had the idea of mixing things together and making people smell them to see if they were stinky or not. I could not talk him out of it! I really couldn't figure out how to turn that into a science project and he didn't really care he was only concerned with grossing people out with his smelly stuff. It finally came to me the night before the science fair(when we were doing all the work of course, why would we have done it any earlier?) So we put a little twist on it and recorded who thought what smelled good and tried to compare peoples sense of smell. I dont think it made any sense at all but I did the best I could!

I had to throw this one in because I just want you all to know that I am not to ashamed to take Chloe out in public with her hand me down superman jammies on AND have Campbell in the pretty pink stroller with his jammies on WHILE he is eating his nutritious frozen waffe for breakfast! So there, that's what kind of Mom I am!

1 comment:

  1. Wow- those are awesome projects! Great job for helping them finish! I have a love/hate relationship with those projects. Allison was pretty much on her own this last one, it only took until 5th grade! I LOVE the pic of Chloe in her jams and the pink stroller! Hilarious! I remember reading in a parenting magazine about how you're super uptight with the first kid, the second and third- you're just happy to survive! The little things don't matter, like what they wear! They look adorable! Oh, and Cooper and Carter are looking so grown up!

    ReplyDelete